Even if you are not a fan of cold weather, you might want to try hiking a few times each year especially with your pooch.
Of course, you have taken measures for yourself to counter the cold but what about your pooch? Let us look at how to find the best dog hiking jacket for winter.
Table of Contents
- Good Winter Hiking Jackets for Dogs: Comparison List
- Best Dog Hiking Jackets for Winter
- 1. Hurtta Summit Parka Pet Collection
- 2. DOGGIE DESIGN All-Weather Alpine Dog Coat
- 3. Ruffwear Fleece Jacket Climate Changer
- 5. RUFFWEAR Quinzee Insulated Jacket for Dogs
- 6. RUFFWEAR Fleece Lined Overcoat Jacket for Dog
- 7. Ultra Paws SnoJam
- 8. RUFFWEAR Climate Changer Jacket
- 9. EzyDog Dog Jacket Element
- 10. DogLemi Waterproof Pet Winter Jacket
- Buying Guide for Dog Hiking Jacket for winter
- How to tell if your Pooch Needs a Jacket for winter
- Winter Hiking Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Hiking Jackets for winter
- Best Overall Choice
- Final Thoughts
Good Winter Hiking Jackets for Dogs: Comparison List
To start us off here’s a list that brings together the different kinds of jackets available out there in the world. We have covered them in great detail within our product reviews section. Keep scrolling.
|1||Summit Parka Dog Winter Coat by Hurtta||Cherry||Check Price|
|2||Alpine All-Weather Dog Coat by DOGGIE DESIGN||Gray||Check Price|
|3||Climate Changer Fleece Jacket by Ruffwear||Burnt Orange||Check Price|
|4||Powder Hound Insulated, Water Resistant Cold Weather Jacket for Dogs by Ruffwear||Blue Atoll||Check Price|
|5||Quinzee Insulated, Water Resistant Jacket for Dogs by Ruffwear||Cloudburst Gray||Check Price|
|6||Water Resistant Cold Weather Jacket for Dogs by Ruffwear||Red Clay||Check Price|
|7||SnoJam by Ultra Paws||Grey, black, red||Check Price|
|8||Climate Changer Jacket by RUFFWEAR||Twilight Gray||Check Price|
|9||Element Dog Jacket by EzyDog||Scarlet||Check Price|
|10||Pet Dog Waterproof Winter Jacket by DogLemi||Orange||Check Price|
Best Dog Hiking Jackets for Winter
1. Hurtta Summit Parka Pet Collection
This classic jacket is ideal for active dogs in the winter season because of its non-slip and non-shifting nature.
The jacket is breathable, waterproof and is offered in different sizes or colors to ensure a perfect fit for every dog.
Concurrently, this jacket features an adjustable collar, belt and back length for total dog comfortability or freedom.
- Easy to put on/off
- Keeps dog’s body warm in cold weather
- Very expensive
- Not great for heavy snows
2. DOGGIE DESIGN All-Weather Alpine Dog Coat
This Alpine dog coat is ranked as the best dog hiking jacket for winter by many reviewers as it boasts of a thick fleece interior lining.
Also, the coat has a waterproof outer shell, a quick snap buckle for adjusting the chest strap, and a covered leash hole for more efficiency.
This coat’s chest-length is 10 by 13 inches while its back length is 8 inches and is great for dogs weighing 31-61 pounds.
- Reflective trim increases visibility
- Made of 50% durable nylon and 50% polyester
- Adjustable strap
- Quite warm and should only be used in low temperatures for pet comfort
3. Ruffwear Fleece Jacket Climate Changer
Keep your furry friend warm in clear cold conditions with this Ruffwear jacket made from durable recycled polyester fleece.
This beautiful purple Dusk XS coat is ideal for dogs with a girth of 17-22 inches though there’s a size chart in case you need more reference.
The safety beacon light loop and reflective trim increase visibility while the zippered closure facilitates easy putting on or off.
- Simple usage
- Breathable and lightweight
- Offers full range motion
- Not completely waterproof as the fabric gets wet in heavy rains
4. RUFFWEAR Insulated Dog Cold Weather Powder Hound
This hybrid jacket provides total motion and synthetic warmth just like a technical stretch fabric thus suitable for cold weather hiking activities.
The hound is made of weather-resistant recycled polyester fabric and has a sleeved style to keep your dog properly insulated.
Additionally, the full-length zipper allows for a convenient fit.
- Reflective trim increases visibility
- Highly insulated
- Weather resistant
- The beacon light is sold separately
5. RUFFWEAR Quinzee Insulated Jacket for Dogs
Convenience and efficiency are what this RUFFWEAR jacket equipped with a storage stuff sack offers.
This properly insulated polyester jacket helps your dog to handle the brisk winter weather.
The jacket is made with a vest design and features quick-release side buckles for easy wearing or putting off.
Lastly, the coat has an integrated leash portable for more control.
- Insulated for increased warmth
- Easy to use
- Comes with a stuff ruck
- More expensive
- Not fully waterproof
6. RUFFWEAR Fleece Lined Overcoat Jacket for Dog
Perhaps a classy all-purpose durably made jacket is what your dog needs for protection against the harsh rainy or freezing conditions.
This small-sized vest is perfect for dogs whose widest part of the ribcage is 22-27 inches.
Indeed, you will love the reflective trim for extended visibility or you may purchase the beacon light and put it in the assigned place for increased efficiency.
- Multiple colors and sizes to pick from
- Has visibility elements
- Poorly sized thus the chest may get wet easily
7. Ultra Paws SnoJam
The Ultra Paws SnjoJam is a polyester canine fleece pajama that gives your dog full comfort and warmth either outdoors or indoors.
What’s more, the pajama has a detachable hood that can be snapped on or off easily and features a lash attachment opening on the decorated collar.
This XXPetite size is ideal for dog breeds whose back length doesn’t exceed 8 inches.
- Machine washable
- Made from durable polyester
- Not waterproof
- Difficult to put on
8. RUFFWEAR Climate Changer Jacket
The RUFWEAR climate changer jacket is designed to keep your pets warm despite the freezing temperatures outside.
The sleeved styled jacket ensures the dog is fully covered for total warmth and its range of motion is not hindered.
Importantly, the zippered closure allows for easy fitting while the light loop is for the beacon and the reflective trim increases visibility.
- Keeps dogs warm
- Different sizes or colors
- Offers value for money
- No leash attachment platform
9. EzyDog Dog Jacket Element
Obtaining this EzyDog jacket definitely puts an end to your endless search for an extreme weather coat.
The jacket’s fleece lining and waterproof outer cover make it function as a raincoat, windbreaker or down jacket.
Moreover, the ergonomic design of the jacket makes it good fitting or easy to wear and, more visible.
- Zippered leash waterproof access
- Various sizes provided
- Elastic cam-lock straps and expandable neckline for a quick fit
- Doesn’t cover the neck and arms
10. DogLemi Waterproof Pet Winter Jacket
Protect your dog from wind, rain or the cold winter weather with this nylon waterproof jacket featuring a fleece lining for added warmth.
The jacket is available in 7 different sizes and 4 optional colors for increased versatility.
Most notably, the coat has Velcro straps for easy putting on and off.
- Simple to use
- Offers protection against the harsh cold weather
- Improper sizing
Buying Guide for Dog Hiking Jacket for winter
Here are several factors to consider before buying a dog-hiking jacket.
A little research about your dog’s needs during the cold season will help you decide what kind of jacket to get them.
You can also consult a vet and they will be able to recommend something.
You want to determine how much you are willing to spend on a hiking jacket for your pooch considering they have other needs.
Try to find a balance between quality and price if you are trying to save your coins.
How to tell if your Pooch Needs a Jacket for winter
So how can you tell if your pooch needs a winter jacket? Here are some of the ways you can use to find that out.
- Feel the inside of their ears; if they are cold, it is time to get them a winter jacket.
- If they hold one of their paws up, it means that they are cold hence the need for a coat.
- Put a jacket on them and observe to see if they chew on it. If they do not, they are definitely cold and will need a jacket.
Winter Hiking Tips
- Here are a few tips to ensure you get the perfect winter jacket for your pooch.Stay away from cotton because when it is wet, it allows heat to escape away from the body.
- Avoid fleece fabrics because they are neither water resistant nor wind resistant. This makes them less effective for outdoor situations.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Hiking Jackets for winter
The questions we have answered below can help satisfy some of your curiosity on this topic.
Do dogs need coats in the winter?
Some dogs do not need a coat to keep them warm during winter, but puppies, senior dogs, dogs with short hair, and dogs with medical conditions will appreciate the extra warmth that a coat provides.
How cold is too cold for dogs?
Generally, cool temperatures are not an issue for most dogs unless they go below 45° F, at which point some dogs might start to feel uncomfortable.
Best Overall Choice
It’s now time to decide which one of these 10 is the ultimate best choice. And so far, the Hurtta Summit Parka Pet Collection seems like a good choice for anyone looking for extra warmth for their pups. We also like the fact that this product is competitively priced.
You want to take your time to find the right jacket for your pooch to wear during winter and do not rush them either.
If they are anxious about putting it on, be patient with them and with time, they are bound to come around.