Best Fish Based Dog Food 2021 Reviews: Top 10 Choices
Is your dog a picky eater or simply allergic to traditional meats like chicken and beef? Well, fish-based dog food is a great choice for pet owners with allergic pooches as it rarely triggers allergies.
Besides, fish is a healthy source of protein, vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, and amino acids. What’s more, it’s a great brain booster.
However, while there is a great variety of fish-based dog foods to choose from, they’re not created equally. This brings us to the question, how do you know which is the right one for your doggie?
We’re going to review 10 of the best fish based dog food choices available in the market right now. Also, we’ll cover topics like:
- Why choose a fish based dog food
- What to consider when buying fish-based dog food
- Frequently asked questions
- Our top pick food
So, if you need help getting started, below are our top picks and everything you need to know about them.
Table of Contents
- Fish Based Dog Food Comparison Table
- 10 Best Fish Based Dog Food Reviewed
- 1. Whole Earth Farms Natural Dry Grain Free Dog Food
- 2. Purina ONE True Instinct SmartBlend Dry Natural Dog Food
- 3. Wellness Core Natural Dry Grain Free Dog Food
- 4. Merrick Dry Dog Food Grain Free Recipes
- 5. Honest Kitchen Grain Free Dehydrated Human Grade Dog Food
- 6. Natural Balance Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diets L.I.D Dry Dog Food
- 7. Taste of the Wild Dog Food Pacific Stream
- 8. Blue Buffalo Large Breed Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
- 9. AvoDerm All Life Stages Natural Dry & Wet Dog Food
- 10. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon & Potato Dry Dog Food
- Why Choose Fish-Based Dog Food?
- What to Consider When Buying the Best Fish-Based Dog Food
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Top Pick
- Final Word
Fish Based Dog Food Comparison Table
With many dog food manufacturers incorporating fish into their recipes, finding the right fish-based dog food can be overwhelming. So, here is our head-to-head comparison of some of the best choices that are not only affordable but also high-quality.
|1||Grain Free Dry Dog Food BY Whole Earth Farms||25 Pounds||Check Price|
|2||SmartBlend True Instinct Natural Adult Dry Dog Food BY Purina ONE||27.5 Pounds||Check Price|
|3||High Protein Grain Free Dry Dog Food BY Wellness||26 Pounds||Check Price|
|4||GF Dog Food by Merrick||25 Pounds||Check Price|
|5||Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food by Honest Kitchen||4.25 Pounds||Check Price|
|6||Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food by Natural Balance||26 Pounds||Check Price|
|7||Dry Dog Food With Roasted Bison And Roasted Venison by Taste of the Wild||25.45 Pounds||Check Price|
|8||Natural Dry Dog Food for Adult Dogs by Blue Buffalo||30 Pounds||Check Price|
|9||Natural All Life Stages Dry & Wet Dog Food by AvoDerm||20.4 Pounds||Check Price|
|10||Grain Free Dry Dog Food by Wellness Natural||24 Pounds||Check Price|
10 Best Fish Based Dog Food Reviewed
1. Whole Earth Farms Natural Dry Grain Free Dog Food
Are you a pet owner who would like to explore an all-natural diet? Then you should make this Whole Earth Farms formula your top choice.
Why? This is simply because the meal is grain-free, natural ingredients and has been rated by many buyers as the best fish dog food since its safe for use by even pets with most sensitive stomachs.
This 25 lb dry dog food is carefully made to fulfill your dog’s nutritional requirements at any life stage.
The key protein ingredients include; real salmon and whitefish. Additionally, Chickpeas and Flavored sweet potatoes add more taste to the meal.
Lastly, this USA prepared formula is fortified with essential minerals and vitamins to give your dog a full- balanced diet.
- Features all-natural ingredients
- Supports dog’s general well-being
- Grain and filler-free
- Not completely GMO-free
- There are a few complaints about a decline in quality
2. Purina ONE True Instinct SmartBlend Dry Natural Dog Food
This dry dog food by Purina ONE features real salmon as its primary ingredient which is blended with other natural spices to make it more delicious.
Since the meal contains no fillers, each premium quality ingredient used plays an important role in keeping your dog healthier always.
This 27.5 lb packet is also available as a larger 36 lb and a smaller 7.4 lb to suit your pet or pocket needs.
Salmon is the natural source of Glucosamine that helps support the joints and bones. Other major ingredients that make up this SmartBlend are; real Tuna, cornmeal, rice, and soy flour.
The 30% proteins strengthen your adult dog’s muscles and energetic while the Omega (3 & 6) fatty acids promote healthy skin or coat.
- Highly digestible
- Has antioxidants for a strong immune system
- Supports bones and muscles
- Features real Salmon and Tuna
- Contains grains and may have adverse effects on dogs with delicate stomachs
If you have an American Bully, then you have to check it.
3. Wellness Core Natural Dry Grain Free Dog Food
Wellness has been and still remains one of the few trusted manufacturers of dog food.
Although pricey, this dry dog food by Wellness core is a must-have by your lovely pet.
This is because the formula is grain-free and is made with all-natural ingredients to provide your dog with everyday balanced nutrition.
The meal is offered as 26 lbs but there is a smaller pocket-friendly 4 lb pack.
This dog food comprises basically of ocean whitefish, salmon, herring, vegetables and fruits to make your dog healthy.
Concurrently, the incorporated vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and other essential ingredients help support the dog’s healthy (immune system, skin, coat, bones or teeth).
This protein-rich formula does not contain fillers, artificial preservatives or flavors thus completely safe for your dog.
- Rich in delicious proteins
- Features high-quality natural ingredients
- Boosts your dog’s health
- Very expensive
- The included canola oil may cause allergic reactions to hypersensitive dogs
4. Merrick Dry Dog Food Grain Free Recipes
This fish-based dog food is carefully handcrafted in the Merrick Kitchen in the USA with high-quality ingredients.
All the ingredients are naturally sourced to give your dogs a full balanced nutritious meal so they can stay healthy always.
The ingredients of this 25-pound bag include; real salmon, sweet potatoes, whitefish meal, and peas.
Amazingly, you will be spoilt for choice as the recipe is available in poultry, fish, and deboned meat flavors.
Finally, quality dog food is what Merrick offers, this can be ascertained by the 100% satisfaction or money-back guarantee.
- Great for all adult dog breeds
- Supports joints and immune system
- Equipped with real-natural ingredients
- Guarantees perfect dog health
- Quite expensive
- Not 100% GMO-free
Check it: Best Canned Cat Food for Weight Gain
5. Honest Kitchen Grain Free Dehydrated Human Grade Dog Food
Do you think it’s high time you changed tact and tried this gluten or grain-free dog food by the USA based Honest Kitchen Processing facility?
The food is uniquely prepared with low fat and calories making it the ideal maintenance diet especially for the pups or adult dogs who find it hard to digest the common proteins.
What differentiates this meal from the rest is that it has passed all food-safety requirements and is 100% human-grade standard meal.
The food is made with dehydrated ingredients such as white fish, eggs, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and dried fruits to simplify the digestion process.
All you need to do is add warm water to the meal, wait for about 3 minutes and there you have a grain-free meal to serve your dog!
For more safety, the food does not contain fillers, preservatives or additives.
- Perfect meal for dogs with dietary restrictions
- Offers value for money
- Fortified with proprietary vitamins and minerals
- Delivers a complete nutritional diet
- Not-ready-to eat and should be mixed with water
6. Natural Balance Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diets L.I.D Dry Dog Food
Getting a balanced, safe and complete meal that can be fed to all dogs at any life stage isn’t easy.
All hope is not lost! This grain-free formula with no artificial additives by Natural Balance is here to fill the gap.
The meal is prepared with a specified list of carbohydrates and proteins commonly termed as Limited Ingredient Diets that help reduce the level of food sensitivities in dogs.
The offered packet contains 26 pounds of dry dog food and is made in the USA.
The major ingredients are fish and sweet potato. Also, the high-quality protein-rich salmon derived from fish helps in the maintenance of strong muscles while the sweet potato is a source of natural fiber which helps promote healthy digestion.
- Offers a whole balanced meal
- Great for dogs of all ages
- Helps in the maintenance of the digestive health
- Promotes lustrous coat and healthy skin
- The dog produces a stinky dark poop
7. Taste of the Wild Dog Food Pacific Stream
According to scientific researchers, it has been proven that dogs and wolves share the same DNA. So, they both have an insatiable need for the wild.
Now that explains why your dog needs this Taste of the Wild formula to help it quench that wolf spirit in it.
This formula is made with a combination of fruits, fish, and vegetables enable your dog to have a healthy lifestyle.
Each cup of this 30 lb packet contains 360 Kcal of grain-free dry dog food.
The meal features smoked salmon as the main ingredient which is rich in proteins and amino acids for strong muscles.
Moreover, the vitamins together with minerals help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- AAFCO approved
- Prepared with dog-safe premium-quality constituents
- Promotes overall dog health
- Highly digestible ingredients
- More expensive
- Non-resealable packet
8. Blue Buffalo Large Breed Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
Let your large dog breeds enjoy this life protection formula by Blue Buffalo every day to boost their immune system and general health.
Though containing grains such as rice and peas, the meal has been ranked by most pet owners as one of the best fish-based dog food on the market.
The 30 lb bag features a complete fish and oatmeal recipe to help strengthen the muscles.
This formula also contains chondroitin and glucosamine to help improve mobility in bigger-bodied dogs.
Furthermore, the LifeSource Bits exclusive range of ingredients such as vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals help bring an oxidative balance.
- Contains all-natural recipes
- Features real fish
- Supports the dog’s whole health
- Easy to chew kibbles
- Not grain-free and may cause allergic reactions in dogs with sensitive stomachs
9. AvoDerm All Life Stages Natural Dry & Wet Dog Food
This salmon and vegetable grain-free recipe is engineered towards giving your dog a variety of proteins.
The featured natural ingredients have been slowly cooked so that they can be digested easily, this is quite helpful if you own pets with delicate stomachs.
This formula works great on both puppies and adult dogs.
The food is supplemented with Omega-rich avocados from California that boosts the growth of a healthy coat and skin.
This packet weighs 24 lbs and contains no grains, fillers or artificial preservatives.
- Great for puppies and adult dogs
- Supports a steady healthy growth
- Made with natural pet-friendly ingredients
- Contains top-quality proteins
- Confirm with your vet since some dogs are allergic to the included canola oil
10. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon & Potato Dry Dog Food
For a formula to be called the best fish dog food, it should cater for the senior dogs that are allergic to different diets or adult dogs with highly sensitive stomachs.
The above describes what this Wellness dog food for adult dogs is. To add on that, the meal features a single salmon protein source and carbohydrates to completely nourish your dog inside-out.
The packet weighs 24 pounds and comprises an easily digestible formula prepared with all-natural recipes. Similarly, there are no fillers, grains, gluten flavors or preservatives.
This Limited Ingredient Diet (L.I.D) by Wellness is made in the USA and features potato as its second ingredient.
- Promotes healthy coat and skin
- Made with easily digestible ingredients
- Supports the immune system
- Conveniently sized kibbles
- Gives a full wellness diet
- Gives your dog a strong fishy breath
Also Read: 25 Best Dog Decals & Stickers.
Why Choose Fish-Based Dog Food?
- Protein-rich- fish is a lean source of high-quality protein necessary for all bodily activities. As such, it can help your pooch maintain healthy body weight and lean muscle mass.
- Rich source of omega-3 fatty acids- different types of fish especially salmon are a natural source of omega 3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA. These fatty acids are said to be great for your pet’s joints, coat, and skin.
- Amino acids- fish-based dog food provides all the essential amino acids your pooch needs in his diet. These amino acids are required for regulating hormones and building cartilage.
- Low mercury- if you choose a salmon based dog food, then you can rest assured that it is very low in mercury. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about your canine companion ingesting unhealthy levels of mercury.
- High in vitamins and minerals- fish-based dog food contains various vitamins and minerals including Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and among others.
What to Consider When Buying the Best Fish-Based Dog Food
Fish is the preferred protein source for dogs especially those allergic to meat. However, in most cases, fish is used in combination with other protein sources. As such, there are a couple of things you may need to look out for when buying fish-based dog food. These include:
The fish-based dog food should not contain any fillers, colors, artificial preservatives or flavors. Such fillers may trigger allergies and even cause digestive problems in some pets. Instead, consider foods that make use of ascorbate or tocopherol as preservatives because they’re naturally found in foods.
The fish-based dog food you choose should be wholesome and complete. It should have a balanced mix of vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and essential fats. However, the first ingredient should always be real fish.
You need to check the label of the food to confirm that the food is made from real fish and not fish flavoring. Artificial fish flavoring will not have any health benefits to your doggie. Some of the best types of fish include salmon and whitefish.
Grain-free dog food may not always be the best option for all dogs. However, it can often be beneficial for doggies with allergies. Besides, it can help with a ton of digestive problems.
Luckily, most of the fish-based dog foods in this review happen to be grain-free. Such foods don’t contain soy, corn, or wheat.
You need to choose a fish-based dog food that is according to your dog’s age and energy needs. Most dog food brands are usually labeled with “small breed”, “puppy breed” or “adult breed”. This is to indicate the stage the whitefish dog food is suited for.
However, there are also those brands that are designed for use by all breeds throughout their entire life stages.
Frequently Asked Questions
While we’ve tried our best to cover everything about fish-based dog foods, chances are that you still have some questions bugging you. So, below is our response to each one of them.
Q: Is fish based dog food good for all dogs?
A: Yes it is because fish is very rich in protein. And as it turns out, dogs that don’t get enough protein in their diets can have a range of health issues.
Q: Is grain-free dog food really better than their grain-based counterparts?
A: Most grain-free doggie foods contain more protein content and animal fats but fewer carbohydrates compared to grain-based foods. Consequently, they are more easily digested and are, therefore, ideal for dogs with allergies.
Q: What type of fish is the best for canines?
A: The most common types of fish used in commercial dog foods include lake and ocean whitefish, salmon, herring, and walleye.
Q: Can I give my pooch fish-based dog food even if he is not allergic to other meats?
A: Yes, you can. Whether your canine is allergic to other meats or not, he can benefit a lot from taking fish-based dog food. Just make sure the food contains real fish as the major ingredient.
Our Top Pick
Overall, all the fish-based dog foods in this guide are great in their own way. Therefore, regardless of your dog’s needs, we’re sure there is one for your pooch. However, if you’re looking for the best of them all, the Whole Earth Farms Natural Dog Food is our top pick.
We like the fact that it contains real salmon as its main ingredient to support your dog’s active lifestyle. Not to mention, it’s also made with whitefish and is grain-free. What’s more? This food is designed for use by all dog breeds in all their life stages. More importantly, it does not contain any poultry by-products or fillers like artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Fish provides a notorious source of protein, nutrients and amino acids which are essential for your dog’s healthy immune system. Therefore, it makes sense to feed your pooch with the best fish based dog food. Just make sure you choose the best one that serves your canine’s specific needs.
Liked this guide? We bet you’ll also love our other lists for top mulch for dog run.